Mailbutler email tracking tool for Gmail and Apple Mail keeps you updated on the status of your sent emails with receipt confirmations on your attachments, links, and messages. Find out more about email tracking here.
How to activate Open Tracking in your email
Follow the steps below to activate Open Tracking before you send an email.
1. Compose your new email.
2. From the dropdown menu next to the Tracking icon, select ‘Track’. This will enable tracking of your email opens.
3. Finish your email and click Send.
Mailbutler will show a blue double checkmark in your Sent folder if the recipient has opened the email. You can see the exact time and date if you move the cursor onto the blue check marks at the top of the email.
A single checkmark shows that the tracking is active, but the recipient hasn’t opened the email yet.
A double checkmark shows email has been received and opened.
2. Click the Tracking icon and select ‘Track’. This will enable tracking of your email opens.
4. Finish your email and click on send.
To check for tracking, go to your Sent folder. A single black checkmark shows that the tracking is active but the recipient hasn’t opened the email yet. A blue double checkmark in your Sent folder if the recipient has opened the email:
- Go to the Emails tab and click on the airplane icon to compose a new email.
- Click on the Tracking icon to enable Tracking / Link Tracking.
- Finish your email and schedule / send it.
To check the Tracking details of your Email, then:
- Go to the Emails tab and the Email you want to check.
- Swipe that Email to the right to see when your Email was first opened and first replied to.
- Swiping further will reveal more specific Tracking details.
Enable Email Tracking by default in Dashboard
You can enable Open Tracking by default.
- Log into the Mailbutler Dashboard (https://bowtie.mailbutler.io/).
- At the top right corner, click the drop-down menu next to your email and go to Preferences.
- Now, check enable Tracking under General.
You have successfully enabled email tracking by default and all your out-going emails will be automatically tracked.
Receive Apple Mail Tracking notifications on macOS
Apple Mail users can receive Tracking notifications from Mailbutler on their mac.
Receive Gmail Tracking notifications
Gmail users can receive Tracking notifications by enabling Mailbutler’s notifications from Chrome browser.
Receive Tracking notifications on your Mobile
Android and iOS users can receive Tracking notifications by enabling Mailbutler’s notifications on their phones.
Turn on notifications for Email Tracking
You may want to control the tracking notifications you receive. Mailbutler can send you notifications when one of your emails have been opened. Follow these steps to enable/disable tracking notifications.
1. Login to your Mailbutler Dashboard.
2. In the top right corner, click the drop-down menu next to your email and go to Preferences.
3. Under the Notifications tab, check/uncheck tracking Notifications.
4. Click Save.
View details about your tracked emails
Tracking Details gives you additional, detailed information about your tracked emails, such as open location, device, time.
How does Email Tracking work?
At Mailbutler, we use the same technology that email newsletter services use by relying on a 1-pixel image in your email.
So if you activate the email tracking for a specific email, Mailbutler automatically include a hidden 1-pixel image with a unique mail-ID into the outgoing mail.
Once the recipient opens your email, the recipient’s mail client or web service sends a request to our server in order to load the hidden 1-pixel image. Our servers then collect and store the mail-ID and the date/time of such request. We, in turn, pass on the date/time and mail-ID to your Mailbutler software where it is linked to the specific email and enables the Mailbutler software to display the second checkmark in the Sent folder.