Mailbutler’s GIPHY extension for Apple Mail allows you to search, preview and add animated GIFs in emails directly from the Compose window.
The GIPHY extension is compatible with macOS versions 10.12 (Sierra) and newer. It also works with 10.11 (El Capitan) and older versions of the operating system, but we do not guarantee full support for older OS versions.
How to install and set up GIPHY extension
1. Click on the following link and enter your email address to receive the GIPHY extension download link: https://www.mailbutler.io/GIPHY/
2. Click Confirm in the email you received. Once that is done, you will receive another email with a download link. Please note that it may take up to 10 minutes to receive it.
3. Click on the link to download the plugin.
4. Go to your Downloads folder and open the GIPHY extension installer package.
5. Follow the default installation steps to install the plugin.
6. Open Apple Mail. Note: if you are using previous versions of macOS (version 10.13 or older), skip to step 11.
7. Go to Mail -> Preferences.
8. Click on Manage Plug-ins in the General tab.
9. Activate the plugin GIPHY.mailbundle by checking the checkbox.
10. Click Apply and Restart Mail.
11. You should now see a GIF button in the compose window:
The GIPHY extension is now installed and activated. You can now send GIFs with Apple Mail.
How to add a GIF in a new message
- Open Apple Mail.
- Compose a new message.
- Click on the GIF button.
- Search for a GIF using a keyword (e.g. laugh, hello).
How to uninstall GIPHY extension
- First, open Finder.
- Press Cmd+Shift+G on your keyboard to search.
- Enter /Library/Mail/Bundles/ and click Confirm.
- Locate GIPHY and move it to trash.
- Restart your Apple Mail. The GIPHY extension will be removed from Mail.
Check out our other email tools – Mailbutler Features